This is a tough one because my gear list changes pretty often. Also, like many outdoorsman, I used to wish for the days that I could say I was sponsored and get gear for free or at a discounted rate but when those days did come, it was with very mixed emotions. Right or wrong when you are sponsored you really loose your ability to call things like you see them. Needless to say I now happily sponsor free.
Fortunately, I have a job and a wife that allow me to buy a few things every year. So, where do I spend my money or what do I think is the most important part of my gear? To be honest the most important thing can’t be purchased, you need to have desire. Desire to never give up, Desire to prove to yourself that given a task you can accomplish it, Desire to do whatever it takes to get an animal on the ground.
As much as I hate to admit it there have been times when I have done things that haven’t always been safe and haven’t been smart. I have tried to “win by attrition”. I suspect my mom is going to read this so I will not got into detail but just take my word for it.
I am no Rambo but I love the scene below:
So what does my archery gear list look like??
- Hoyt Carbon Element – Shoot a bow that you shoot well, don’t believe everything you read.
- Easton – 400 FMJ’s – Solid, heavy, tough
- Silver Flames – 100 gr originals; I did try the ABS heads and I had issues; I need to try the new heads
- Spot Hogg or CBE Tek-Hunter – I use the Spot Hogg on hunts that I might be beating the bush, like my Bear hunt and I use the CBE for hunt like my treestand Coues Deer hunt.
- Kuiu – What makes this company different is that they don’t’ use the same materials as everybody else and just cut them differently and call it something new. KUIU uses a material called Torey and these guys are really on to something good.
- Nikon Range Finder – Rifle Hunter; solid and dependable
- Leica – 10×42 BN GREAT GLASS
- Swarovski – 15×56 GREAT GLASS, used for long range hardcore glassing.
- Osprey and Crooked Horn – My Scouting and bivy sack pack is an Osprey 65; light fast mean My hunting pack is a Crooked Horn Fanny pack;small, forces me to carry what I NEED.